What is Mind Health?
A healthy mind includes emotional, psychological, and social well-being and affects how you think, feel, react, and behave. A healthy mind works in harmony with your body and influences how you handle stress and anxiety, relate to others, and make decisions.
No one experiences perfect mind health or well-being all the time. When things in our life change, we have to maintain or restore the balance.
Healthy ways to achieve a healthy mind.
Keeping our mind healthy is not a once-off task. We need to pay attention to our state of mind regularly and not just during times of challenges, stress, anxiety, or depression. Here are some tips for healthy mind are:
- Relax your body and mind and take time-out, for example spend time in nature doing yoga, mindful meditation, and deep breathing exercises, connect with others, take regular breaks from life’s pressures, work, meetings, or go on vacation to unwind. You may also use supplements to calm your nerves.
- Get restful sleep. Sleep problems are common when you are suffering from stress. Stay away from sleep interruptions such as light, noise, extreme temperature, TV, gadgets, and electronic devices. You may also use sleep-aid supplements.
- Head outdoors for a walk, jog, run, ride, or gardening. A breath of fresh air cleans out your airways, boosts your immune system, brings more oxygen and sunshine to your mood, energy, body, and mind.
- Strike a balance between responsibilities to others and responsibilities to yourself, to get a balance between work, home, family, and personal life. Set clear work-life boundaries and priorities to avoid stress and burnout. Are you taking on too much? Are there things you are doing which could be handed over to someone else? Can you do things in a more leisurely way? You may need to prioritise things you are trying to achieve and reorganise your life so that you are not trying to do everything yourself or all at once.
- Commit to a journey of self-love & self-care. We have all heard the saying, “you can’t pour from an empty cup” or “put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others.” Self-care is quite literally taking care of yourself. It is more than just getting a massage, facial, manicure or pedicure. It is any action you take to preserve and improve your health, wellness, happiness, and fulfilment. This takes on a mind shift or a whole new meaning when you are the breadwinner, with kids and a family to take care of.
Finally, live healthy by eating right and getting sufficient hydration, watching your hygiene and supporting your body with supplementation, and exercise.